Thursday, February 26, 2009

71-year-old man to muscle in on bodybuilding competition

A HIPSBURN man is preparing to flex his muscles at a regional bodybuilding championship – aged 71.


Pumped-up pensioner Ian Smith will prove age is no barrier when he flaunts his physique at the NABBA North Britain Bodybuilding Championships in Hartlepool at the beginning of May.


And it is believed that when Ian steps on stage, he will be the oldest competitior to ever grace the championships.


Toned Ian, of Steppy Lane, will be entering the Over 50s class and competing against musclemen 20-years his junior.


He said: “I’m looking forward to the challenge and I am taking part for the experience.


“I know I won’t look like Arnold Schwarzenegar or even Mr Universe but I never expected to come this far and I will be happy with the result at the end of the day.”


Ian, who admits some of his friends think he is ‘crackers’ for taking up the challenge, is transforming his body at Alnwick’s No Limits Gym on Fenkle Street.


He is currently training four times a week, with a mixture of weight and cardiovascular work, and is eating a protein-rich, low-fat controlled diet of 2,000 calories a day.


Ian Simpson, who runs No Limits Gym, said: “Ian is not your average 71-year-old.


“I have been to a lot of shows and I have never seen anyone that age on the stage. But he certainly won’t embarrass himself.”


Super-fit Ian currently has 17 per cent body fat and he is aiming to slash that further in the next few weeks. The average 40-year-old has a body fat of between 30 and 40 per cent.


Mr Simpson added: “Ian’s story sends out a positive message and proves that age is no barrier.”


Ian started working out a few years ago when his doctor told him to reduce his cholesterol and body weight.


He said: “I was starting to put on some weight so I joined No Limits. Things started to happen, firstly weight loss but also my strength was increasing regularly, causing me to lift more weights and gain muscle definition.


“In 2008, members of the gym said: ‘I hope I look like that when I’m 70.’


“So I approached Ian about the competition and asked whether or not he thought I would look okay for it and he saw no reason why I shouldn’t go for it.”


Ian has also urged people of a similar age to join a gym and get active.


He said: “I would say have a crack at it. It does take dedication and discipline, but anybody can do it.”


Ian isn’t the only No Limits member to be preparing for the Hartlepool event in the spring. Sixteen-year-old James Spinks, of Felton, and Alnwick’s Harry Ainslie, 20, are competing. There is also a father and son connection, with Stuart French, 16, and dad Leslie, 44, both of South Broomhill, gearing up for the contest.


Source -www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk


www.NaturalBodybuildingEvents.com
All The Shows From All The Natural Organizations

No comments:

Post a Comment